Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Flora

Time for a new post! We weren't able take a drive for a couple of weeks, and I was going through withdrawals. So, I hope there aren't too many photos here, but I have a flower addiction and it must be satisfied, lol! I hope you enjoy, and if you have a favorite, please let me know:-)

wildflower, common madia

"No Matter How Hard, Keep Reaching for the Light", these beauties are a bit tattered and torn, but they've still got their faces pointed to the sun. It's a message I value. These are Common Madia (Madia elegans).

Collinsia heterophylla

"Sticky Chinese Houses" (Collinsia heterophylla), not a title, but the actual name of the flower. I think this has to be one of the best flower names! It's a California native, and is also known as "tincture plant" or "Purple Chinese Houses".

wildflower, Shooting Star

"Foothill Shooting Star" (Dodecatheon hendersonii), actually taken on our trip to Sequoia. Came across one little patch of these delicate beauties, and was thrilled! This is one wildflower I'd really been wanting to see and photograph:-)

vetch

"Lovely Little Vetch", this one's for Nature ID. She has an awesome blog that chronicles the flora and fauna of California's central coast area (and beyond). She had a vetch she was trying to id, too. I think mine's "Hairy Vetch", but am not sure.

triteleia ixioides

"Pretty Face", again the common name for the flower, but works as a title. I love these elegant little wildflowers. They're a member of the lily family.

tomcat clover

"Tomcat Clover" (Trifolium tridentatum), cool name and cool-looking!

long-beaked filaree

"Long-beaked filaree" (Erodium botrys), geranium family. A non-native invasive, but still pretty:-)

honey bee, milk thistle

"Thistle Honey", last but not least, a honey bee doing good things with milk thistle:-) Such a beautiful flower, but it's a wicked plant (those thorns are strong!). Hope you've enjoyed this little stroll - fauna coming soon:-)

5 comments:

Kenia Soares said...

The entire composition is in perfect harmony. Its beauty fascinates me! I enjoy visiting your blog! Kisses!

Nice blog baby! kiss from Brazil, by Kenia Chan!

Erica Lea said...

Thank you! Your comment means a lot and is so beautifully expressed:-)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos! I also suffer from a flower addiction! Your blog is fantastic! I'll definitely be here more often and maybe you'll let me paint one of your flowers someday!

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Thanks for the kudos, Erica. After seeing your shooting star, I'm wondering if I identified mine correctly. There are 8 kinds of Dodecatheon in CA plus ssp. What do you use for IDs?

Beautiful post on flowers! I'm not on facebook, so can I be a fan of yours? ; )

Erica Lea said...

Thanks, Keith and Katie:-) Keith, I might have some photos I can send you if you let me know what you're interested in. Katie, I may be wrong - I'm still learning. I went off the site that I put on your blog, because she's based in the central Cali foothill area, too: http://www.birdmom.net/wildflowerspink.html They're midway down on the left side. Do you think my id is correct? And, yes, you can be fan, ha, ha!