Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Willpower

anise swallowtail butterfly

"Keep on Keepin' on!"

I took these photos last week, while watering our plants. This beautiful Anise Swallowtail (Papilio zelicaon) came over, and actually stayed for a bit. You can see from the first photo just how gorgeous s/he was - looks perfect, right? Well, this beautiful butterfly had a secret that wasn't obvious at first glance, with the rapid movement of the wings. I kept thinking something didn't look right, and finally realized that a good portion of the wings on the other side were torn off - as you can see in the bottom photo. I have no idea of the thought processes of a butterfly, all I know is that it has to be extremely difficult to fly with so much of your wings missing. Yet, this butterfly was bound and determined, and was flying all over. S/he didn't know to give up - a powerful message, no matter who or what delivers it:-)

There is probably no better deliverer of that message than Nick Vujicic in the video below. I'd seen him online before, but it had been a while. This video was at the bottom of a recent Cheryl Richardson newsletter, and I'm so glad I clicked to see what it was!

The words in this video really resonate with me - heck, it brings me to tears each time I watch it. It's all in how we see things, isn't? Determination and appreciation are beautiful things.

anise swallowtail injured wings

"Willpower"

1 comment:

Kathryn Dyche said...

Wow, just goes to show with a little determination what we can achieve.