Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wonderful Wednesday Wings!

Lots of wings coming out now! These were all spotted over the past week here in southern Utah.
One of the best butterfly sightings ever, because this little beauty spread her wings out to balance in the wind, and just froze while feeding. Only problem is despite looking and looking, I haven't been able to id her. Update: per the comment left by Katie at http://natureid.blogspot.com/, the id looks to be a Variable Checkerspot.

 Every once in a while, you take a photo you don't know you've taken;-) Tiny butterfly moving quickly around the flower, and in 14 shots, I never saw the even tinier grasshopper until I processed the photos - believe it or not! I think the butterfly is a Juniper Hairstreak (Callophrys gryneus).

Common Checkered-Skipper (Pyrgus communis)

I believe this is a Meridian Duskywing (Erynnis meridianus).

Metallic Sweat Bee 

Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum) over water - a very lucky shot! Saw the water, hoped for a dragonfly, and spotted this beauty just hovering:-)

3 comments:

Katie (Nature ID) said...

My best guess for your first photo is a variable checkerspot, which are indeed variable (i.e., Euphydryas anicia hermosa: http://butterfliesofamerica.com/L/euphydryas_anicia_hermosa.htm). A good butterfly and skipper site for your fairly new location is: http://www.utahlepsociety.org/bfstatechecklist.html. Hope this helps!

Erica Lea said...

Thank you so much, Katie! How did you know I was hoping you might see this post? :-) I have that site, and had gone through the list. I just didn't realize that variable really would be that variable, lol. I'm so glad you posted, because it's been "bugging" me. I'm usually pretty good at tracking things down, but this beauty eluded me.

PoetessWug said...

Ooooo! How pretty!! :-)