Friday, February 5, 2010

Erica's Scones

scones, food, recipe Since I decided to make my scones tonight, I thought I'd share my recipe, too. I originally got the foundation for this recipe from a TV show many years ago, and then adapted it to be my own. I’ve shared them with others, and they are one of my mom’s favorites:-) They’re very easy, tasty, and go wonderfully with a hot cup of tea! If you decide to make them, I’d love to hear what you think.

"Erica’s Scones"

3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 sticks of butter (softened slightly)
1 cup of buttermilk*
½ cup + of dried apricots, or other dried fruit (cranberries, cherries…)
Extra sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together dry ingredients, then crumble in butter until blended into coarse, small crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until dough sticks together – fruit can be added while stirring. Then knead gently and place on floured board (kneading should also distribute fruit better). Pat out to about ½-inch thickness, and use either a round cookie cutter or the top of a glass to cut out individual scones. Place about 1 inch apart in greased or non-stick cookie sheet, and sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake at 425 for 10 - 12 minutes, until tops are light golden/bottoms darker. Best served warm!

Makes approx. 15 scones, and they can also be frozen.
*You can also use a buttermilk substitute; pour 1 tablespoon of either vinegar or lemon juice into a measuring cup, then fill up to the 1 cup mark with milk, and let sit at least 5 minutes.*

Please note that in my haste to eat these this evening, I didn’t take the fanciest photo. And, no, I didn’t eat all three on the plate;-)

No comments: