Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Meet Tippy the Beagle and More

beagle sculpture, dog sculpt, art, polymer clay, nature visions
It’s about time I started posting some art again! This is my mom’s (Nancy’s) latest sculpture to be added to our Nature Visions' shop, a Beagle named Tippy (named after a Beagle her grandparents had when she was a kid:-) I wanted to share him, because he’s so life-like – I can’t believe the things my mom does with polymer clay! She started sculpting back when we were still in Oregon, so it really hasn’t been that long. When we were in southern Utah, she started sculpting more, and it’s now a full-fledged passion.

beagle, sculpture, polymer clay
She’s self-taught, and each sculpture is one-of-a-kind – there are no molds. She decides on a subject, researches positions and such, makes her armature then sculpts some amazing animals! After they’re baked, she paints them with acrylic paints, and gives a polycrylic coating for sheen and protection. Her two favorite clays are Fimo Puppen and Super Sculpey. Someday, I’ll do a work-in-progress post.

beagle, sculpture, polymer clay, dog
There was a bit of worry last summer when our oven died (after the a/c had already had to be repaired twice - a necessity here). Forget about cooking! How would Nancy bake sculptures? Well, we were very fortunate to be able to sell a scooter my late grandfather had, and used part of it to purchase a Deni 10400 Quick-n-Easy 10-4-Quart Convection Oven.beagle dog sculpture She’d learned about this oven during her research, and it’s been a wonderful investment. We both still miss the real oven, but it’s amazing how you can adapt (I’ve found some yummy microwave dessert recipes I’ll have to share at some point).

In closing, I want to share a photo of one of my other new favorites, this carousel horse. This is the first horse of any kind that Nancy has sculpted, and I think it’s so beautiful:-) There are many more pieces in our shop, and I hope you’ll take a little visit.

carousel horse, wall hanging, polymer clay sculpture, nature visions

No comments: