Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Horse a Day Challenge #30 - Kiger Mustang


I like thinking of more unusual horses to draw, and the Kiger Mustang definitely qualifies! Here's some of the info from his Etsy blurb:

"He’s a Kiger Mustang – a wild horse, but also an established breed. They were discovered in the 70’s in Oregon, and found to be breeding true through DNA (it also turns out that they’re closely related to the original horses brought from Spain to the U.S. in the 1600’s). The BLM separated them out into their own groups. They're usually dun colored (light tan to golden with black points) with a dorsal stripe down their backs and zebra-like stripes on their upper legs. We once pastured our horses with a mare who was believed to be a Kiger, and she was so beautiful! Heavy-set, but such a lovely color and had that really long black mane. She was very shy, but gentle and a pleasure to be around. Like my last subject, the zebra, I hope for the opportunity to see the wild Kiger mustangs. What a beautiful sight to see!"

Tomorrow I'll be working on some photos I took today of my mom's sculptures. She's just joined the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy, and is entering their next contest. I think this is so cool, and I know it's a big thing for her. In fact, I think it's the first contest she's ever entered her art in. I'll have to put some photos here, too:-)

I'm behind on real writing here, so promise to get back to it soon. This is supposed to be a multi-subject blog, and not just about the horse challenge. So, more to come soon!

No comments: