Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Horse a Day Challenge #11 & #12 - Carousel


Yes, I’m posting two drawings tonight, and yes, they were both previously done. I’m getting back on track. I wanted to catch up tonight, though, and get this posted before midnight or 1:00:-)

Yesterday was one of those days – one of those days where I slid backwards a bit. To be honest, it’s been building up since Thanksgiving. It isn’t that I haven’t been appreciative of the many blessings in my life, because I have. Sometimes, though, things still hit hard at times. Sometimes, I forget to breathe and believe…

Thanksgiving hit really hard, because we visited my grandmother in the nursing home. My mom visits several times a week, and I usually visit once – it’s never easy. I haven’t written about how we got to where we are now. I’ll do a short version for now. As of the end of January 2008, we’ve lived in my grandparents’ mobile home of 20 years with all of their memories. It’s actually now ours. My grandfather passed very unexpectedly on April 12 of this year – I have a tribute on my Flickr site you can see here: Charles Vogel. It tells more about it all.

Anyways, this was my grandmother’s first Thanksgiving in 67 years without him. She’s bedridden in a nursing home (for over 2.5 years now). She still has her mind, though. I’m not sure if that’s a curse or a blessing… I just know that she’s so sad, and my mom and I get so sad for her. It would be a whole other post to fully describe her and things. I’m not ready for that. I just need to let the sadness out, and work harder at not absorbing it in (and not feel selfish for trying to be happy). It doesn’t help anyone to get so low. I need to constantly remind myself of that, because I see firsthand what it does to you…

So, today, I’ve been getting back on track, and looking for the sunny side. That means posting my art again:-)

These were both done with Prismacolor colored pencils. I’ve worked in Prismacolor since I was about 13! The formula has even changed. I’ve thought about switching mediums, because colored pencil isn’t the fastest medium in the world. I’ve never convinced myself, though; there are just too many things about colored pencils that I like. They’re neat, portable, affordable, and able to produce great accuracy and detail. They’re comfortable.

Top is #11 and bottom is #12. Again, with the carousel horses, I strive to create an almost-lifelike horse with just enough fantasy thrown in to make you wonder if it’s real or not. I really, really love doing them! I’m wondering if I should give them real names – what do you think?

Both are available in our store on Etsy.

No comments: